![]() |
| My first attempt at the whole webcam picture thing. Also, for you all to see how much effort I put into my appearance when I go to work (sarcastic face). |
People at work never believe me when I tell them I'm moving to Hawaii. Does nobody actually live there? Is it just a vacation land or a commonly-held fantasy of office drones ("one of these days, Sam, I tell you, I'm just gonna up and move to Honolulu")? Is it so inconceivable that the barely-visible girl at the front desk who makes the coffee and transfers the calls could actually be getting paid to live there?
Per tradition, here are my final office musings:
- I make it a point to learn something from every job I have, no matter how much the job sucks. At this job I learned how to talk on the phone without mumbling, stammering, or wanting desperately to hang up and put myself out of the misery of talking to a piece of plastic in my hand.
- Being the "barely visible" receptionist has its perks: I can be privy to all of the gossip/office chatter that nobody assumes I can hear because it's not the sound of a ringing phone or a fax signal.
- No other receptionist is ever going to be as awesome as I am, whether it be at fixing stuff, hunting down paper clips, or making sure all of the candy in the dish is neatly organized. Sorry [name of company], I'm the best receptionist you'll never have again.
I had a dream that they threw a going-away party for me with a cake filled with bacon and topped with sweet and sour sauce. I'm glad that such a thing did not actually happen, though I did get a $50 Amazon gift card from the office manager, which I'm determined to spend 80% on something useful and probably 20% on music.

Hooray! Congratulations! :D Hawaii is amazing and beautiful. The beaches are a little weird and sometimes too rocky/rough to do much other than marvel at the beauty. But, heck, there are turtles! I can only aspire that one day I, too, will never have to refill a copier or do someone incompetent's Powerpoint presentation for them. Although it would definitely be better if I knew I was moving away from it and toward Hawaii. Happy travels and congrats again! :D
ReplyDelete