Sunday, June 17, 2012

Aloha! (For Reals This Time)

Guys, it's official (like Facebook official):  I live in Hawaii now!  Surprisingly, the six-hour time difference between Boston and Hawaii has not kicked my trash yet, but that could be because on travel day I was awake for 24 hours straight so I basically forced myself to adhere to a new system of time.

Observations thus far:

  • It's freaking hot.  Except when it's not.  It's basically mid-eighties and sunny every day, but yesterday we did get some rain while at an outdoor polo match.  I'm going to have to adjust my New England wardrobe a bit and be pretty proactive about the sunscreen, but generally, I'm sure I can handle it.  
  • It's freaking beautiful.  Before I got here I was skeptical that there would actually be palm trees, but there are.  It's amazing.  There are hibiscus flowers everywhere and really cool birds that I've never before seen.  Anyone who is Facebook friends with me will see lots of pictures.
  • Food is freaking expensive.  People have told me this, but again, I didn't quite believe it until I saw boxes of cereal for over $6.  Between the hot weather and my not wanting to spend a fortune on groceries, I think I can probably count on getting pretty skinny this year.  Unless I eat these; then I might die:  
Honolulu's answer to Cambridge's "Live Poultry, Fresh Killed," I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made it over there safely. Perhaps you should try spam musubi. It's tasty and apparently cheap to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat a lot of pineapple. And cocoanuts. And...what else is grown on an island? Smoke monsters?

    ReplyDelete