I am happy* to report some progress in my attempts to be more the type of person who is nice and sociable and less the type of person who is introverted and lame and has no friends.
- I was meeting with someone from the Office of Proposal Development about a preceptorship application I was filing, and I noticed she had a Golden Girls mouse pad. Introverted Alex would have thought that was cool but not said anything, but not that day! I was like, "so you're a Golden Girls fan?" and then told her about when I went to see the Golden Girls Drag Queens. Talking to a work-related person about personal things? Who even does that?
- After class one day I was talking to my classmate and we happened to walk into the bathroom together. My rule is usually "when you enter the stall, the conversation stops." This girl clearly did not have that rule, and continued to chat. At first I was mortified as I am not capable of that level of multitasking, but somehow--don't know how--I managed. I think I gained some Female Points that day.
- Then I went to a Halloween party, but that was more because I was coerced, but still. Read about it here.
- I feel like I'm finally starting to fit in with the other grad students in my department (as much as I can, being a bone person in a department full of brain people, I guess). I would always hang out with just the other people in my year, but now I'm having full conversations with the higher years. It's probably because I'm doing the quals thing soon and I'm officially "one of them" now, but it's cool.
- Three of the past four days I ate dinner not by myself.
Baby steps, guys.
*Maybe "happy" is a stretch.