Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Six Days Shalt Thou Labor"

I really don't want to make this my Mormon blog. But I am a Mormon, and sometimes I do have opinions that are somewhat related to my religious beliefs and I want to blog about them.

For those who read my blog that aren't LDS, we're big fans of keeping the Sabbath day holy. I know that commandment isn't specific to Mormons, but I definitely notice it more among LDS people. Living in Boston has definitely been a contrast to living in Provo, a city that was essentially shut down on Sundays. Of course, "keep the Sabbath day holy" means different things to different people. For some, it just means "don't go shopping on Sundays;" for others, it means "stay in your church clothes all day and don't watch TV (unless it's the Superbowl)." I feel like I'm medium-left in this one. I sometimes keep my church clothes on all day; I try to only watch "church-friendly" TV (or the Tony's); and I don't listen to the radio on Sundays. I have, however, tried to keep one rule for myself, a rule that would shock most of my classmates and professors: I don't do schoolwork on Sundays.

I know what you're thinking: but Alex, you're in grad school! You're writing your thesis! How do you do it? I don't know how it works, but it does! I could say that since I'm consecrating that day to God, I get blessed with extra time and the ability to get things done in only six days. I don't necessarily know that God works that way; it would be nice, and it makes sense, but I really don't know. I do know, however, that I am much less stressed because of this. For example, the second draft of my thesis is due tomorrow, a Sunday. I turned it in today, in the early afternoon, without any stress. Not to rub it in, but I know that I'm currently feeling so much better than my classmates who will be frantically scrambling to finish and turn their theses in tomorrow night. And I find it such a relief to have one day per week that I don't have to worry about school to decompress. I never feel guilty about not studying on a Sunday, or that I'm "slacking off" when I should be doing homework. I just have a six-day week, and it feels like enough time to get whatever I need to do done.

So maybe it is a blessing after all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are so amazing! That is something that I have always wanted to do but never actually done. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete