| I don't know to whom this image belongs; if I did, I'd credit them. |
I think I figured it out. Well, at least one of many "its." I submitted my first of seven grad school applications today, only a half-hour after submitting the manuscript of a portion of my thesis research to the Journal of Forensic Sciences. Before you applaud my motivation to do these things (on my birthday, no less!), let me tell you that these are things that could have been finished ages ago. So why have they taken so long? Sure, I was fussing over word choices here and there, but apart from that, the answer lies in Schrödinger's Cat.*
As long as my manuscript sits on my flash drive, unsubmitted, it has not been accepted by the Journal. However, it also has not been rejected! The same thing goes for my grad school applications. It's comfortable; however, although I can certainly be a success in this scenario, I'm also simultaneously a failure. And I don't like failure. So I hit "submit!" Let's see what happens.
*I'd like to say that this was an original idea, but it was inspired by Laura, who at a certain point had simultaneously passed and failed the bar exam (upon opening the box, she found that she passed!).
Also, whenever you use this term everyone thinks you are a quantum mechanics genius, even though really this is the only thing I know.
ReplyDeleteYOu know what? I SUPER love this analogy. Everything is going to be Schrodinger's cat now.